- 1 whole shoulder of pork from Partridge Farm!!on the bone weighing around 5-8kg (we have done this with smaller cuts just reduce the cooking time slightly)
- 5 garlic cloves peeled & 5cm piece of fresh Ginger
- 2 tsp dried chilli flakes & 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp brown sugar & ½ tbsp. flaky salt
- 1 tbsp sunflower/groundnut oil
- 5 spice mix – 2 star anise, 2 tsp fennel seeds, ½ cinnamon stick, 4 cloves & black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
Score rind of pork with a Stanley knife in parallel lines about 1cm apart, to a depth of ½ – 1 cm. *Grate the garlic & fresh ginger in a small bowl and mix to a paste with chilli flakes, ground ginger, brown sugar, salt, oil & soy sauce. Pound the 5 spices in a pestle & mortar & mix 1 tbsp into the paste(we add a little more than this usually as we love the flavours).
Place pork, skin side up in a roasting tin. Using your fingertips rub half the spice paste into the scored rind of pork & place in the centre of a very hot oven (230oc/gas mark 8) for 30 mins.
Remove from oven & turn pork over, using a knife or spoon smear the rest of the paste onto the pork, turn oven down to (110oc/gas mark ¼) & replace meat, leave in the oven from 16-24 hours, turning it skin side up again and basting with fat & juices half way through.
45 mins before you want to eat it turn oven up to (230oc/gas mark 8) to crisp up the crackling. Keep an eye on it as it can burn!
To serve the pork, simply take off crackling in one piece & break up, scoop the tender, melting meat onto a plate and serve with a simple green salad. Delicious mouth watering perfection!!!!